Monday, October 12, 2009

I'm Dyeing!

While Leslie and I were at Quilter's Pow Wow at Western Hills Resort near Wagner, Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago we took a class in fabric dying called "Low Imersion Dyeing". It was SO much fun. We did the dyeing in quart jars. The teacher(Sherry Worley of Princeton, TX) had the dye all mixed for us so we just basically played all day. She was kind enough to allow us to come back after the class had ended and play some more.
We dyed so much that we both ended up with somewhere around 20 fat quarters each. These three fat quarters came out of one jar. They were just added at different times.

This is Leslie with our two examples of true red. Leslie carefully measured her colors with an eye dropper and kept count of the number of drops (hers is on the right). I just dumped my colors together and came up the the color on the left.


Here are the large squares we did. We rolled them up like a jelly roll. I folded my fabric in quarters first. Leslie rolled hers up a little off center (on purpose). We were both very happy with the results.




At the end of the class we dumped a lot of colors together and this is what we got. Love it!!!

We're looking forward to using up the rest of our dye and creating some more fun.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I love these!

Carrie P. said...

They all turned out so pretty. Have fun using them in a quilt.

ranette said...

Love, love, love all of your dyed fabric. Someday I'm going to do that. I can't wait to see what quilts you both put them in.