Saturday, December 15, 2012

Twelve Days of Quilts--Day 8

My paternal grandmother, Bertha Ward, pieced this quilt in the early 60's. I had a dress made of the fabric in the close up picture. It was one of my favorites and I also had a dress of the same fabric, only in pink.

Grandma made each of her 5 children a quilt top. This one was made for my dad and mom. My mom hand quilted it not long after it was pieced. She hardly ever used the quilt. But she always let me use it when I visited her in the later years of her life. (My dad passed away in 1978.) Mom knew I loved the quilt and gave it to me some years before she passed away.

Grandma also made each of her 19 grandkids a quilt top and started on her great grandkids' tops. My oldest daughter was the third of her greats and I believe it was the last quilt she made (around 1980). She and Grandpa quilted it in straight lines on her sewing machine.

Perhaps I'll show the one she made for me tomorrow. It's been in the closet for many years. It's well worn.




3 comments:

Lista said...

Is the one she made me backed in greenish flowered fabric, with a very scrappy front? I've had to retire it because some of the fabric is coming apart, but I love that one.

Lisa Lisa said...

Love this quilt and its story :)

MamaT said...

Calista, I can't remember much about it except I think it was a string quilt. I'd like to see it again. Remind me the next time I'm at your house.